Saturday, March 21, 2009

Cracked

I was walking out of my office when my mobile rang. I didn't recognise the number and asked the person for his name. He started asking me why I don't have his number in my contact list and insisted that I get it done. Sigh! I was kinda irritated by his suggestion.... well, the WAY he insisted on it.

Anyway, I was carrying stuff in my hands, and wanting to open the car door when I felt the phone slip from me. Gulp!!! I picked it up, hoping that nothing would be wrong with it but to my horror, the screen cracked! My heart sank.

Feeling sad about it, I continued the conversation with this person, who by then, was asking about whether I had a digi number, and what my digi number was and etc, etc, etc. I told him that the number he called me at was fine and I didn't see any reason why he should want to call me at my digi number. Finally, after arguing with him to a point where I got so fed up and still not knowing why he called me in the first place, I told him that I didn't want to talk to him anymore and that I dropped my phone while having that irritating conversation with him and that the screen cracked. And his reply? "Well, your phone is still ok. You can still talk to me, right?" Gosh! Of all the insufferable @#@#@@ .... yeah, I wanted to curse but hehe! I didn't.

I think it was the firm tone in my voice that made him realise that I was very angry with him and he quickly (and finally) told me why he called. He wanted my husband's phone number.

During the ride into town, I was feeling so stressed and troubled over the condition of the phone.

I finally had the nerve to call dear hubby to tell him about it. He patiently listen to me ranting about it before saying, "Don't worry about it. I'll buy you another one". Wow!!! So nice of him to say that. I told him that it's too expensive to get another one. And he answered that he doesn't mind paying for it.

At the back of my mind I was thinking, "Gosh!!! That $$ can buy me a D90!!!!" but all I told him was "I'll try to see if there's someone who could fix the screen".

I also did tell him that I was so angry with everything (especially that person who called me though I know that it's NOT his fault but I remember feeling so irritated even before I dropped the phone) that I really felt like crying.

And dear hubby asked me to cry so that I would feel better!!! :)

Well, tears were welling up in my eyes but I was determined NOT to cry. After all, I was standing right outside a bank and there were many people around me.

After "consoling" me, dear hubby told me that he wasn't feeling well and that he needed to rest. Gosh! I felt so horrible for thinking only about myself while he was sick and was still listening patiently to me.

I went back and quickly went online to see if there was such a service for screen replacement. There was one which I called and he was in KL. He said that I need to leave the phone with him for at least 24 hours (which meant overnight) and that it would cost me RM650. Earlier on, I read in one of the MAC forums that it might cost USD250 to get the screen replaced. So even thought RM650 is NOT cheap, it was still a better option than buying another phone. But somehow, I was a little skeptical and was going to look for other options. I had this mental vision that he would tear apart my phone and replace not only the screen but the whole phone!!! Sigh! I know, I don't have a very high opinion of the people here in Malaysia. Blame it on all the stories I read from the forwarded emails.

Anyway, that night we had cell meeting and YM, who was on holiday from Singapore, told me that he would be going to Singapore next week for a few days and if I like, I could pass him my phone so that he could take it to Applecare in Singapore to get it fixed. He too, felt that the phone would be safer hands in Singapore than in Malaysia.

I haven't really made up my mind yet. All I can feel is relief that it could be fixed. What I am worried about is that the touch screen might not be as sensitive as the original one. Whatever it is, I always have to remind myself, it's only a phone.

The ironic thing is .... this happened on the day Malaysia launched the iphone!

3 comments:

poreiz said...

Oh my...I know how you feel cos kinda cracked my camera lense protector. Thank God it's the protector not the lense. Well, yes it's just a phone. Don't let it bother you. There's more things that you need to worry about than the phone.

Rachel said...

how on earth did your lens protector break? You dropped it or the whole camera?

Actually, I am kinda klutzy sometimes. I actually dropped this phone 2-3 times but this is the first time it fell on the road!

poreiz said...

aiyer dungu la... we were at the louvre and trying to take pic with the tripod. the the wind was so strong suddenly, the lousy tripod fell and it even caught a pic of me trying to catch the tripod. it was funny man. but at least the lense and camera was ok.