Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Blackout

Nobody likes it when everything goes dark all of a sudden.... especially when they're in the midst of doing something which involves something hot and boiling.

I was in the middle of scooping out the heart-shaped pasta from the pot when poof! everything went black except for the light emanating from my laptop which was nearby.

I think I sort of expected this blackout because about 15 minutes earlier, I went out to the porch area and noticed that the street light in front of my house wasn't working. Then I looked around ... the house on my right was in total darkness... so was the house after that... and after that ... and after that. I looked back at my house and I've got lights!!! The house on my left wasn't in darkness either. Something definitely was wrong.

Well, I think someone must've called 15454 earlier because the TNB technicians were at the nearby sub-station the moment I experienced darkness.

Rajen and I had a romantic "torchlight" dinner (as opposed to candlelight dinner) ... that was AFTER I splattered some of the bolognese sauce onto the table and floor because I was trying to hold the torchlight and at the same time balancing the heavy bowl of sauce. The bowl slipped from my fingers and I wasted a small portion of the sauce.

We decided to go to my parents' place because both of us had work to do on our laptops.

We were there until 12.45am. By then, I expected the problem to be fixed. But alas, we came back to darkness.

The TNB technicians were there, blocking off a portion of the road. One of their vehicles were parked in front of our house and we had to wait for them to repark before driving into our porch area.

We found out that one of the cables was burned and they need to replace it. Gosh! Burned!! That sounds really dangerous.

It wasn't exactly a chilly night but I decided to take a cold bath before I sleep.

I couldn't sleep!!!

I looked around and saw that Rajen was wrapped up in his blanket (!!!!!) and snoring away. Gosh! That's not really fair, right? There I was, feeling so hot and bothered and he was feeling cold and already asleep??? Something must be wrong somewhere. Perhaps the heat was localised!

I decided to wake him up to tell him how unfair life was. He laughed and said that he was feeling a little chilly (!!!) and wanted to know if there was a negative 2 on the fan mode.

1.35am and I was still trying to sleep. I wished it was raining so that the air would be cooler. But then again, it was a selfish thought. If it were raining, the guys out there would get wet.

I sighed and tossed around some more. I just didn't want to think of how hot and stuffy it was getting to be, or how little sleep I would get if the problem wasn't fixed soon, or how sensitive my hearing suddenly became, or....... sigh! I just wanna sleep.

I must've drifted off into a semi sleep state for a while but at 2.07am, when the power came on, I was immediately awake - knowing that sleep will come very soon.... and it did! :)

No comments: