Friday, May 30, 2008

Aphthous Ulcer

Ever heard of this phrase, Rubbing Salt into the Wound?
.
I googled it and found this on the free online dictionary:
to rub salt into someone's wounds is to make an unpleasant situation even worse for someone
.

I hate getting canker sores. It all started when I bit into my left cheek about 2 weeks ago. I was super busy that I didn't really bother to take care of it and being out in the sun and not drinking enough H2O made it worse. By the 26th of this month, it was so painful, I couldn't even talk without feeling the pain. My face was slightly swollen on one side.
.
Monday (27th) when I went back to work, all sorts of advices were drummed into my ears.
1- Drink Beer, the "gwai lou liong cha"
2 - Drink more water
3 - Don't eat chilli
4 - Put some Bonjela on it
5 - Gargle with Listerine
.
Of course the common one was ... "Gargle with salt water" or "rub salt into it". You can just imagine how painful that would be.
.
That made me put on my thinking cap. Rubbing salt into a wound generally makes a situation worse. In MY case, yes, it does make it worse... but it would last only for 30 seconds (of screaming in pain) and after that, healing takes place. :)

2 comments:

poreiz said...

I have tonnes of experience :P I get it most of the time and just had one last week. kaka!

What I normally do is rub salt (to kill the germs?). Just once or twice. Not too many times. Once I was so eager to get over it that I rubbed so many times. Aiyoh! It really got worse.

The next step is apply some Bonjela if you have. But last week, I didn't. I just gargle with Listerine twice a day. That's all. It will recover within 5 days I guess :)

Rachel said...

I've tried Bonjela in the past ... didn't work fast enough. I want it to heal within 2 days (!!!)