Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Cough That Lingers

I've always been susceptible to sore throat which eventually turn to cough. My being lazy to drink water does not help at all. On normal healthy days, my normal intake of water per day ranges from 1-2 cups.
.
About 4 weeks ago, in the midst of recovering from food poisoning, my throat started to sore. I was in Singapore at that time and my Redoxon Vitamin C was 4 hours away. To make matters worse, I was at a concert and I was so thirsty, my 500ml water bottle didn't last long. I made the mistake of eating one sugar free sweet. Next thing I knew, my throat got worse and my voice changed.
.
Two days later, the cough began. Argh!
.
I was intermittenly conscious on keeping a strict diet so that my cough doesn't get way out of hand. Ten days later, it finally showed signs of improvement and I started to be laxed in my diet. I ate fried chicken and lots of chilli.
.
Big mistake.
.
Within 2 days, my cough got worse.... I think the morning walk up Kepayang Hill on the 1st day of Raya played a part in aggravating the itchiness in my throat.
.
I was coughing so badly. Being my normal stubborn self, I refused to see the doctor, after all, I don't normally make it a point to see a doctor for normal sickness like cough and flu.
.
Lots of advice were thrown at me:-
.
"You must drink pure honey"
.
"Pei Pa Kou is good" (but unfortunately, I heard from someone that it contains a certain amount of drugs)
.
"Boil some rock sugar and ginger"
.
"Rub Vicks on the soles of your feet and cover them with socks when you sleep at night"
.
"Rub Vicks on your throat"
.
"Boil one yellow pear for 40 minutes. Drink the water and eat the pear"
.
"You must take 3000mg of Vitamin C (Redoxon) a day"
.
"Go see the doctor"
.
Now, two bottles of Tiga Kaki cough mixture, 1 bottle of Woods Peppermint Cure, 1/2 bottle of Vicks, 4 boiled pears later, I'm finally feeling a little better. The cough is still there but I don't cough as voilently as before. I used to cough till my head hurt. I guess my very strict diet helped too. I had rice porridge and bread on most days and avoided chicken and chilli like the plague.

No comments: