Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Promised Gift


It was exactly a week after En's actual birthday that we got her her birthday present. We promised to take her to a book shop to buy a book.

Esther and I had things to do in Jusco and left En with Rajen in Popular Bookstore. About 20 minutes later, after I was done with my shopping, they were still there. I met up with them and saw that En had an Oxford Dictionary in hand. That was the extra non-negotiable gift that Rajen bought her as he was getting a little tired of helping her spell when he "proof read" her mini stories.

Rajen left En in my charge while he freed me from being laden with shopping bags and placing them in the car.

I could see the indecisive look in En's eyes as she moved from one shelf to another, trying to see if she prefers big books with lots of coloured drawings or plain Enid Blyton books with lots of words.

She had 3 other books to choose (one from Rajen, one from Eunice and another from me).

When Rajen came back empty handed, she still had yet to decide ... until Rajen told her that she needed to hurry up as he was hungry. She picked up 3 thick Enid Blyton books and sort of reluctantly put back the big book with lots of coloured pictures.

Rajen made her queue to purchase her books. :)

We went to MacDonalds and she, being influenced by her mum and aunties, took out one of the books and began to read. By the end of the meal, she was on page 67!!!! Gosh! She's really a fast reader.

No comments: