Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Squashed Water Container


I was peacefully driving to work this morning, keeping to the speed limit (I hope!), listening to the radio, when suddenly, there was this weird sound coming from one of the tires of my car. It sounded like I skidded on sand but the road seemed perfectly fine. The man on the motorcycle in front of me looked back at the weird sound.

I was at a stretch where I couldn't stop to check. So I went about 500m before I saw a small place to pull over. By then, the noise got louder and I was worried that my tire was punctured. I got down, checked all the tires .... all were fine. So I went back into the car and continued driving. The sound was louder this time and once again, I pulled over.

I began looking deeper, searching for things (like nails, or anything sticking out of the tire) that I might've missed earlier.... and then I saw it. Wedged between the tire and the upper rim was a 5.5 liter water container which was empty. I tugged at it but it didn't really budge. So I pulled it with all my strength. It moved a little. I was begining to fear that I might not be strong enough to get it out. I gritted my teeth and pulled harder. I tried to flatten the container and pulled some more...... and lo and behold, it came off.

The drive was so much smoother after that. :) I thank God it was nothing major.

No comments: