Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Global Leadership Summit 2008

October 27 - 28, 2008

Everywhere around the world, seminars are organised, summits are held ...all in honour of those who want to better themselves. Well known motivational speakers are invited to speak, to motivate, encourage and inspire high profile people who'd take a day or two off from their normal routine, to attend such seminars.

Very often, after a day or two or intense drilling, I'd ask myself - have I learned anything at all? Or was it a waste of precious time? Will I apply what I've heard into my daily life? Will I be a better person?
I must admit that at times, seminars can be really boring and I, for one, can't sit tight in a place for too long. I tend to nod off quite often. My attention span is 30 minutes maximum.

Having said that, I'd always try to take back something from any seminar, to apply in my daily life - sometimes consciously, sometimes not.

I must confess that this year, I really didn't feel like attending the GLS held in Agape, Seremban. In fact, truth to be told, I sorta dreaded it. I got all ready to be bored. Also, the night before the 1st day, I slept less than 5 hours!!! And I was really tired the next day.

Thank God for wonderful speakers. Despite my reluctance to attend this GLS, I was blessed by every one of the speakers.

From Bill Hybers, I learned that to make a good decision, a leader goes through 4 processes:-

1 - What does the Bible say about it?
2 - What would a smart advisor advise me to do?
3 - The pain, gain and Experience question
4 - Is the Spirit prompting me?

From Gary Haugen and Catherine Rohr, community work. Their call to serve and help those who do not have hope, whose future seemed bleak ... and to give them hope.

From Craig Groeschel, to discard things that drag you down and to focus on what's really important.

From Efrem Smith, God loves everyone, no matter what background we come from or what colour our skins are. We have to look beyond the person's facade, and see him as ... a person, a person whom God loves. Over here in Malaysia, there's not much issue of racism in church, but more of a social class. Do we give the same kind of handshake to ...say ... a well known preacher, as we would to a person from the street who just walked into church for the very first time? Would we sit next to someone who is a transvestite or gay? The list goes on.

From Brad Anderson, treating his employees well.

From Bill George, the importance of building a support team around me, so that when I have problems, I can depend and lean on them for support.

Every message is the same ... at the end of the day, it's our relationship with God and our neighbours. Church is all about people.

2 comments:

@nne said...

hey do u haf more pics on gls. wud love to collect. i got some from a bcm classmate di.

Rachel said...

I burned 2 sets for Pastor Ben. Maybe you can get it from him?