Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Almost Kissed Another

I was driving to work one day. In front of me was a Saga BLM and further front was a huge bus. The bus signalled left and stopped to take in passengers. The Saga overtook the bus and I followed suit.


It was a three lane from then onwards with two lanes favouring the other side of the road. Because the road is winding and an accident prone area, double lines were drawn to ensure that we stick to our own lanes.
.
So there I was, cruising at about 70kmph when the Saga suddenly stopped and wanted to make an illegal u-turn.
.
I hit the brakes. Hard.
.
The tires screeched. I closed my eyes, anticipating a loud crash. And my heart? It almost flew out of my body. I was dangerously close to getting a heart attack.
.
My car stopped. I didn't hear a bang. And I opened my eyes, slowly.
.
I was just inches away from the Saga.
.
Phew!!!!!
.
It took me a few seconds to collect my thoughts and mentally cursed the Saga for being so inconsiderate. The car was taking up 1/4 of the narrow road and there was no way I could've overtaken it without crossing onto the on-coming car lane.
.
After what seemed like a full minute, I realised that there might be other cars at the back of me ... which thankfully, there was none.
.
I moved on ahead, veering to the right to avoid hitting the Saga. And no, I didn't give the driver any dirty looks. I kept my cool and looked straight ahead.
.
Had it not been my new and powerful car brakes (and also my driving skills), I might've rear-ended the Saga.
.
Thank God for His protection.

Further on ahead, there is a lot of space for anyone who wants to make a u-turn, although it's still illegal as it's just around a very sharp bend.

No comments: