Saturday, June 27, 2009

MJ Died?


I was on leave yesterday and was on the computer at 7.30am when I heard over the radio that Michael Jackson died. My initial reaction? Shock! "What? MJ Died? I don't believe it."
.
I thought it was some sort of a prank but it wasn't even April 1st. After countless mention of the King of Pop's death on LiteFM, I realised that it is indeed true.
.
I raked my memories in the deep recesses of my brains, trying to remember when I first heard about him. I remembered the "We are the World, We are the children" quote which my aunty Terry wrote at the back of a picture which had 4 of us cousins when we were in primary school. I asked her where she got the words from and she told me that it was a popular song sung by Michael Jackson.
.
I practically grew up with his songs. His dances were awesome. He was the icon of the 80's and carried forward to the 90's.
.
Much later, he was involved with other matters which caused so many legal actions taken against him. He became somewhat of a recluse. He got fairer and fairer with each passing year.
.
Altough what he did was very wrong, the announcement of his death brought about sadness in my heart.
.
You know, with the radio blasting MJ's songs throughout the day and as internet browsers plastered his face on their homepages and everyone talking about him and saying all sorts of nice things about him, I wonder why when he was alive, only horrible stuff was said of him? Does his death immediately promotes him to be a saint practically overnight?
.
From this I learned that while your loved one is alive, say those love words. What good is it if nice words are voiced out after one's heart stops beating, eyes that do not see and ears that do not hear any longer?

No comments: