Monday, June 1, 2009

Viral Fever

When the Ablaze programme first began, I told myself that it would not be a problem to me. I don't mind skipping a meal and being a vegetarian for 10 days meant 10 healthy days. I guess I spoke it too soon because ever since the 1st day of the fast, I was sick.

For days 1-5, read here.

In the 6th day, my head felt heavy.

On the 7th day, I had a terrible headache - for those who know me, I don't get headaches easily.

On the 8th day, my whole body started aching. I left work an hour early, went back home and took my body temperature. It was 38.1C. Gulp! Fever! Oh no! That meant "No going for classes that night" What a drag.

I took one soluble Panadol (upon dear hubby's strict instructions) and went to bed.

That night, sleep was rudely interupted either by water intake or outflow.

On the 9th day, I was at home - ALL DAY. Sick as sick can be. Fever and migraine and a grumpy me.

I took the day off specifically to prepare for the coming Kidz Safari 2 event but ended up not doing a single thing about it. Of course I felt like it was a wasted day.

By evening, my body temperature shot up to 39C. I panicked a little and wanted to go to the hospital but told dear hubby to go to church first before taking me to the hospital.

I didn't go to the hospital because when dear hubby came back with the food, he looked so tired. Also, I specifically asked for vegetarian and non-spicy but I got just the opposite. Dear hubby was really mad at a certain person who took his orders. The food went to waste because dear hubby just can't take spicy food. As for me, as much as I love spicy food, I didn't dare take the risk of my fever shooting through the roof.

It was a good thing I had a butter bun from the day before and some bananas. That was dinner for me.



My temperature went down to 38.2C after dinner at 11pm. And yet, dear hubby not only demanded, he had a cup of 2 dissolved panadol made for me to drink.


On the 10th day, I felt so much better in the morning. My temperature showed 35.6C.

I filled up a trunk-load of newspapers and sold them off in town. Then, feeling weak, I walked around the area, wanting to pack Horlicks for my empty stomach. It took me 15 minutes to get my drink because all the Chinese coffeeshop said they don't sell Horlicks and I finally got what I wanted in a Mamak shop.

Church was my next destination. I had to sort out something concerning the coming Kidz Safari 2. By that time, I was exhausted.

When I got back home, I knew that I was gonna get sick again. I could feel the internal heat plus the migraine got worse. I took two soluble Panadols and went to bed.

In the evening, I felt well enough to go to my parents' place for dinner. After eating one banana, one slice of fried terung and one piece of fried pumpkin, I felt hot again. And the migraine came back.

I slept, out in the living room of my parents' place, where some Chinese show was on TV. Much later, I went to the guest room to sleep.

The moment dear hubby walked in to the house, my mum started nagging at him, asking him why he has not brought me to see the doctor, blah, blah, blah.

Finally, a little irritated by her nagging, the three of us went to Columbia Hospital.

Blood test result came out negative. It was a viral fever. Everybody breathed a sigh of relief.

My medication turned out to be paracetamol and Diclofenac Sodium BP (pain killer).

Now I'm more worried about how my liver is gonna take all these medication. gulp!

I guess this has taught me not to take anything lightly. What I thought was easy, turned out to be very challenging for me. Especially when I lost my taste buds and had to continue to be on a vegetarian diet for at least 7 days.

No comments: