Monday, June 15, 2009

Thank God It's Monday

I haven't been blogging for the past 2 weeks or so, mainly because I've been sick and extermely busy for the past one week. Indeed, my already hectic lifestyle has never experienced such heavy schedule like what I had last week.

It all started when I got sick on May 21st. I didn't really recover from that but was stubborn enough to climb a mean mountain. A few days later, I developed a headache and my concentration at work was terrible. Next came fever and that lasted for 7-8 days. I was worried, of course and had even gone for several blood tests. My platelet count went from 179 to 185 to 298, ruling out the possibility of my having dengue.

And doctors, being doctors, normally prescribe paracetamol (pcm) at the mention of fever. So there I was, being forced to gulp down 8 pcm a day. I'm prety much anti-pills and even bargained with the doctor about this pill intake. One doctor told me that if I don't have any more fever, I don't have to take the pills. I talked to another doctor and reasoned with him that if I were to continue taking the pills, how would I know if my fever is gone for good? And he advised me to stop taking the pills after the 3rd day.

My fever was quite temperamental. In the morning, I would be free from it and later in the day, I would first develop a headache before my fever would start. Still, being a stubborn person, I would still show up at work and try to get as much work done as I possibly could. Unfortunately, I had to put my already-late reports aside as I couldn't really concentrate on the figures.

I felt a lot better one day and was pleased that I was able to concentrate on work. But alas, it was short lived. The very next day, my fever and headache came back and what was worse, I had diarrhoea and vomitted once. I remember feeling so weak and helpless, I wanted to die.

Surprisingly, after emptying my stomach in two different gross ways, I felt a lot better. Still, I didn't go for my Thursday class because I was still feeling weak.

That night, I paid a visit to the doctor for the third time in one week. This time, we decided to have other tests done. They tried to extract more blood from me but alas, they could only fill up a quarter from each little container of the two syringes.

I was forced to take the PCM on a regular basis. No more bargaining with the doctor. I was to finish all 32 pills and dear hubby checked on me regularly. Again, I played smart and did not eat as per instructions. Instead of two pills, I only eat one at a time. And instead of 4 times daily, I only eat three times a day.

A few days after that test, the doctor came up to me, looking concerned and asked if I took pills on a regular basis. Puzzled, I gave him a negative answer before asking the reason for his question. He said that my liver reading is 90, which is a little higher than the normal 40. I gasped and he asked me not to worry because it was still not a life threatening reading. 500 is considered very high.

He then asked if I took any traditional medication and again my answer was negative. As I have mentioned before, pills and I do not see eye to eye. I avoid it like the plague.

I guess the only logical answer to that was the fact that I have taken so many PCMs in the last few days and my liver just couldn't take the sudden surge of medication.

After that third blood test, I began to feel much better but didn't dare push myself too much for the next few days.

Kids Safari was on that Saturday and I avoided the sun a much as possible. Still, I was given a few chores and did my best in helping out. I actually felt so helpless for this event. Err.. I'm usually one of the main persons running around like there's fire everywhere.

Kids Safari was only the begining of a very hectic week ahead.

You see, my sister-in-law was going on a vacation and that would mean ME taking time to take care of my mother-in-law whenever I have time (usually at night). On top of that, I had a road show in Shah Alam and that was really tiring. My feet will be aching by the end of the day and I still had to go visit my mother in law. My house had become a like a hotel for me. Each night, I'd go back in time to sleep.

On top of that, I had to come up with a promo poster or other forms of advertisement for the coming church camp. I really had no idea how to do it. And I couldn't find any time to do it until Saturday night, after I got back from Shah Alam and a birthday dinner in Seremban. I remember finishing the posters at 12.40am and I was dead tired.

On Sunday, I woke up early, got to church about 1.5 hours early just to set up the camping tent and the posters. After church, dear hubby and I went to Malacca to visit with Aunty Timah, but specifically to see Pushpa and Wahid, her Egyptian husband whom I have never met. We were there for a very late lunch (3pm)

After that, we went to Rotunda, the Malacca Club for tea and went back via the coastal road to avoid the heavy traffic on the highway due to end of school holidays. It took us slightly more than two hours to get back.

That night, I slept at 10.30pm, which was really rare but I was sooooo tired. I must've slept like a log for at least 6 hours before I woke up and realised that it was only 4.30am. I went back to sleep.

And when I woke up at 7.20am, I realised it was MONDAY - the day I had been waiting for, for about a week. Today is the day when my schedule would get back to normal. And today, I would start blogging again..... :)

No comments: