Friday, February 20, 2009

A Frustrating Day

Valentine's Day is supposed to be a fun and relaxing day where women get to enjoy love showered upon her by her loved one and men on the other hand, find means and ways to make his woman happy.

My day started off in the hospital. My mother-in-law had her check-up and we brought her there, the doctor checked and we had breakfast in the cafeteria.

After that, I was off to town to get some stuff done while dear hubby stayed with his mum at her house. He had to wait until his sister got back from school before leaving the house.

I was near the junction turning into my garden when I saw this massive jam. Then it struck me - it was a school replacement day!!!! I went straight instead, and took another route. I still got stuck in the jam. I waited for 20 minutes and at one time, was so near my house and yet I couldn't move.

I got down from my car and went to the person blocking my front gate. It was a silver car with NO driver in it. I fumed!!!! Right behind this silver car was a maroon car and behind it was me. So you can see just how close I was to my own house. Beside me on my left, someone parked on the grass area. So there was indeed NO way I could've gotten to my house unless the silver maroon and silver car moved.

I waited ... and fumed and waited ... and fumed!

There was one lorry which tried to squeeze beside me and guess what? My side mirror got scratched!!! I was kinda angry with that.

At last, the silver car moved. The maroon car moved too ... and so did the car beside me. All of a sudden, the many cars behind me started overtaking me from the LEFT. They moved onto the grass-y area to overtake me. Someone shouted something in Chinese to me and I was not sure what he was talking about. I think he thought that I didn't know how to drive cause I was trying to angle my car to face my driveway. I ignored him and was about to turn into my driveway when this green car parked right in front of my gate! I started honking to let him know that I want the space cleared. After a few honks, he realised that I lived there and started to move away.

FINALLY, I was in front of my house. I opened the gate and drove in. Phew!!!! Of course the next thing I checked was how badly scratched my side mirror was. It was not too bad but still!

I went into the house and wanted to check the pictures on my iphone which I took while I was stuck in the jam. I keyed in my password. Nothing happened. I keyed it again. Nothing happened. I waited for more than a minute, thinking that it hung on me. What usually happens after one minute of inactivity is that everything would blank out and I need to key in my password again. To my surprise, after one minute, it didn't blank out.

I tried to switch it off and then switch it on again. Same response.

I switched SIM cards. Same too.

I used my house phone to call my iphone. Phew! It worked. BUT I still couldn't do anything from the iphone itself. Couldn't call out or use any of the functions there.

I checked my very limited manual. Nada.

Finally, I googled my problem. I diligently followed their instructions and reset the phone.

Out came the apple logo.

For a moment, it reminded me of when I first tried to activate the phone. I was quite worried that this might pose a problem, that when I reset it, all the data in my phone would be erased.

Well, everything came back to normal. Phew!!!

By then, it was 2.30pm and dear hubby came to pick me up for our Valentine lunch.

We had lunch at Kenny Rogers. I was super hungry by that time. Dealing with the jam situation (not to mention the scratch on my side window) and iphone problem had me craving for food.

I ordered a sandwich is took a long time in coming. And when it came, it looked so much smaller that what I had last month. I was still hungry after that.

We walked around the shopping mall, where dear hubby chose his two Valentine presents from me. We walked out of the shopping mall to pick up my dress - which had been at the boutique since December 2008.

I was so tired (because I only had 4 hours sleep the night before) that when we got back at 6.30pm, I went straight to bed.... and woke up at 9pm.

We went to a hotel for dinner at 10.15pm. I was hoping that by that time, the Valentine Dinner crowd would've disappeared and that we could go to the coffee house without any reservations.

We didn't have to worry about the Valentine Dinner crowd because they were all at a newly opened bistro.

We walked into the coffeehouse and noticed the many empty tables. "Good", I thought to myself. At least dinner would be served fast.

It would seem that the hotel didn't want our business for we waited a long time before we had to call for the menu. And even that, when someone brought it after 5 minutes, it was a photocopy version.

I ordered my standard mushroom soup and grilled chicken chop while dear hubby had chicken rice.

The chicken rice came first - without any cutlery.

Also, I was puzzled. Shouldn't MY mushroom come first?

Well, having a pretty short fuse and despite my asking him not to get angry, dear hubby scolded the poor waiter. Soon, his manager was apologising profusely while I averted my eyes to err... well, the one spot on the table in front of me.

Well, the "romantic" moment was gone.

My food came not long after that and we ate in silence for a while

When the bill came, the chicken rice was on the house.

I have to admit it .... I think the service there is terrible. Had there been many more tables filled with people, I would've understood the very slow service. But there were only three groups of people patronising this coffeehouse and service should be good - with THREE waiters on standby.

Well, anyway, we left, feeling tired and disappointed with the lousy service.

I sure hope that I wouldn't have to go through a day like this again.

No comments: