Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hard Fall

Feeling extremely exhausted after the G. Datuk climb on Saturday and the fact that I didn't have a good sleep the night before, I embraced sleep with open arms at 10.15pm.

At 2.10am, I was still in deep slumber when the melodious sound of the phone rudely awaken me. I dragged my legs out of bed and answered the call. Though sounding incoherent, I managed to assemble what Viji was trying to say. Her mum fell and was bleeding. I woke Rajen and we flew to her house.

This was what happened. Rajen's mother was in bed and felt like throwing up. I think she was looking for a container or a plastic bag to empty the contents in. She must've reach out further than she ought to, lost her balance and fell down - with a loud thud. And I mean LOUD. Viji, who was downstairs, reading the papers, heard the sound and rushed upstairs. She tried to help her mother to get up but she wasn't strong enough. So she dragged her to the landing where her mum could pull herself up by using the stair railing.

That was the condition we saw when we went there. She was still on the floor. I don't blame her cause she was in great pain.

Rajen and I helped her sit on a chair and she started throwing up. She felt so weak after that, that she just loose all strength to hold herself up. She started sagging down .... it was terrifying watching her like that. Rajen had to shake and call out her name. After a few terrifying seconds, she sort of "woke up" and asked, "Where am I?"

We allowed her to sit for a while to regain her strength before telling her that we will be bringing her to the hospital and that she needed to find the strength to go down the stairs. By then we knew that her head was bleeding, her right arm was weak with pain and her right side was hurting. So, one step at a time, she slowly walked down the stairs ... with the help of Rajen and I.

We got to the hospital at 3am. The doc did some x-rays and a CT scan. Thank God her skull was fine. Her arm was fine, too. But she had 4 broken ribs. According to the doctor, it would take 4 weeks for a healthy young person to be healed, but in her case, 8 weeks. :(

We got her admitted and left her in the care of the nurses and doctors at 5.15am.

The next day, still groggy after the night's event, we went to church. Viji skipped chuch to see her mother.

I knew that while Viji and Rajen had only about 2-3 hours rest, I had 6 hours. Because of that, I volunteered to stay with their mother in the afternoon while they rest at home. But Viji said that she doesn't mind being there the whole day. It was a good thing too cause I was feeling rather tired. Rajen and I went back to rest for a while before heading out to the hospital.

I must say, Rajen's mother didn't look too good on Sunday. She was resting most of the time and didn't have the strength to even talk.

Once, she started choking and I saw her eyes darting in all directions. I was indeed terrified. All of us panicked and called the nurse ..... but after a while, the choking stopped and she was able to rest. Phew!





Here's Rajen reading the Bible and Daily Bread upon his mother's request.






Many friends and relatives came to visit.



No comments: