Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Gunung Ledang - The Conclusion

I've come to the conclusion that this Ledang climb is the best climb so far reason being :-

1 - the climbers - I don't know 70% of the team and I managed to make a few new friends. :)

2 - the weather was GREAT. I remember huffing and puffing up after CP5, feeling the strong breeze through the trees. Even though I perspired a lot, the air was not humid at all. In fact, it was cool-ish and reminded me of my Kinabalu Climbs. I think the weather played a great part in me not being overly exhausted at the end of the day

3 - Even with a short climb at G. Datuk, after one hour of climbing, I would ask, "Are we there yet?" and would want to turn back at some point of time. For this Ledang climb, never once did I think about turning back, nor did I ask, "Why so long o reach the summit?" In fact, I was enjoying myself so much, with the different sceneries, that when I actually arrived at the summit, I was thinking, "What? So fast?"

4 - The people I was with were very accomodating (carrying my backpack most of the way up, pulling me up, etc) and the conversation was great.

5 - KFC (which stood for Killer for Climbers) after CP5, wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

6 - The view at the summit was beautiful.

7 - I didn't feel exhausted at all, after the climb. In fact, I felt very much alive.

8 - I expected my thighs and calves to ache the following day ... but they didn't at all :) I was able to walk normally. I also didn't feel totally exhausted when I went to work on Tuesday.



I received this cert (which proved that I did indeed conquered Mt Ophir a.k.a. Gunung Ledang) a few days ago. Just another to add to my collection, although they spelt my name wrongly.

My thoughts to Sirdar and Messner :- I think for every mountain the team conquer (be it small mountains like Datuk and Angsi), the organiser should give each person a "cert". Why? To motivate us, of course :)

But then again, for people like Siva and GeokSiang, they do not need that motivation. I remember chasing after their car (when they were leaving the car park) like a mad person, asking them if they wanted a cert for the Ledang climb and they said "no". And I know that if ever they remember anything about me, it would be the way I went flying at them with a look of emergency plastered on my face. Or maybe the look of utter shock on my face when they calmly said that they do not want the cert.
.
Here, I would like to thank Messner and Sirdar for making this climb possible for me. I had a really good time :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ledang is interesting beause you get to experience so much variety within a short span...

One of the great things about a good climb is the camaraderie and team-work; it is the journey together which is so enriching...

We are happy to have assisted you a little along the way..you also showed alot of determination; well done..Nuang next?

Rachel said...

Yeah, the camaraderie and team-work in ALL our climbs are great. Everyone is so willing to lend a hand when the need arises.

Nuang??? Got to prepare myself mentally first.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel! Reading your blog about Gunung Ledang is really interesting. I enjoyed it a lot along with your other entries.

I haven't seen you in skype..you've disappeared from my contact list and I don't know why...

- Tet