Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sweet & Sour Fish

I've always wanted to learn how to cook sweet & sour fish. The major factor that hindered me was the fact that I don't know how to buy fish, or rather, what sort of fish is suitable and more importantly, how to transform a fish with bones to fillets. As you can very well tell, I don't cook often, plus the fact that I am not a huge fish fan.
.
A few weeks ago, we were shopping at Tesco and Eunice bought a packet of Dory fish which cost her a reasonable RM5.99 for a bout a kg of fish. And suddenly, I thought of so many things I could do with the 3 pieces of fish. I could make fish and chips or better still, learn how to cook sweet and sour fish.
.
I asked my mum to teach me but she was too busy playing mahjong... and Tusi taught me how to cook. Of course, earlier on, my mum told Tusi what to do and Tusi was just reciting it from memory.
.
Anyway, for those who love sweet and sour fish (or even chicken), here's the recipe:-

Chop the fish into bite-size. Marinate with white pepper, a little salt and a little chicken stock (liquid form)




For the batter, mix (normal) flour, a little self raising flour, a little salt and water. Dip the fish into the mixture before frying it.




Deep fry the fish until golden brown. Leave the fried fish aside to cool off.


For the gravy, fry chopped big oinions and sliced ginger.


Add chopped capsicum, tomatoes and mix vegetables


Add lots of tomato sauce (almost the whole bottle) and a little chilli sauce (about 3 or 4 tablespoons) for a very slight spicy taste. Add 1 or 2 teaspoon sugar.
Keep stiring until gravy shows signs of boiling. Pour gravy onto fried fish and serve


This is the end result. There was extra gravy but I poured it onto another bowl for those who want to eat rice with the gravy.



I gave some to my grandmother (she had eaten her dinner earlier) and she said it tasted nice. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks really tasty!