Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Japanese Green Tea

I remember the first time I drank green tea.


I had a Japanese friend who lived a few blocks away from my house when I was young. On one of my visits to her place, she offered me a cup of green tea. A drink I've never known existed in this world. It was sugarless .... as it was how green tea is supposed to be savoured. And I remember not liking it because it was a little bitter. Oh well, what do I know? I was only in my early teens and loved everything sweet.


Now, if you asked me that question, I would say that I LOVE green tea, especially if it's JAPANESE Green Tea.

Two days ago, I was in MidValley, looking out for the kiosk which sells green tea. I remember buying a packet of loose green tea (Konacha) from this place one or two years back.

I found it and the lady was very helpful. She allowed me to taste a few types of green tea :- the basic Sencha, roasted green tea and green tea with brown rice. I was about to buy the Sencha green tea when something else caught my eyes.



A cylindrical container with some Japanese painting on it. It looked interesting enough for me to ask her about it. She explained that the tea inside that container is a high graded one. I didn't understand and asked her to explain further


She said that it's Spring Green Tea and this can only be purchased once a year - during spring time. It's when the leaves are new and they are plucked for the first time after winter. These leaves contain lots of good vitamins (don't ask me what they are) and can even be eaten.


The cost of it? RM128 per 100gms. There's another one which cost RM148 per 100gm and is said to be plucked from a certain part of the tea trees, also during spring time.


I decided to buy the cheaper one - RM128 per 100gm. Call me crazy for spending so much $$ on green tea leaves but this is really what I love to drink!!!!




Another thing caught my eye. A green little container. I asked her what was that for and she said that it was for the loose green tea leaves. This container is air tight. I bought one for my Konacha tea leaves. :)


Because I spent more than RM150, she gave me this little membership card. My future purchases there would be at a 10% discount. So for those out there who loves green tea, let me know; I can lend you this little card so that you can save 10%. :)

No comments: