Friday, April 24, 2009

Chicken Without a Head

The past 2 weeks at work had been terrible. The server at the office kept shutting down and it was 2 months before we decided to get a new one.
.
We thought that with a new server, our work problems would be solved. Right?
.
WRONG!
.
When Jim (an external IT "expert") worked on the server, he told us that we would not be able to use the system for a day. Well, it turned out to be 2-3 days for most of us. He was able to get 5 computers linked to the new server within 2 days. Those computers are so ancient, they ought to be in a museum and because of that, he didn't face much problems with the link - except the fact that the 85% of data in one of the computers could not be retrieved. My poor colleague had to redo most of her reports. If you were to wonder why she didn't back up her files, it was because her computer was so old, it didn't have a USB port.
.
Two other computers, one of which was mine, were XPs and Jim ran into some problems. He just couldn't link them to the server. Finally, after two weeks, he sort of gave up and asked us to go local. And because of that, I couldn't access my outlook express PLUS I couldn't edit or do anything at all to the "system". This is sooo frustrating.
.
I really did feel like a chicken without its head for the past two weeks. I couldn't get much work done as I couldn't use the system PLUS, I had to use my personal laptop to get my reports done. I couldn't print my reports and had to email them to someone who could print them out for me. It was really a waste of precious time.
.
These days, when I get to the office, a sense of dread would come upon me as I spend half a day wondering what was wrong with my computer. Most of the time, I would be trying to map the network, or trying to figure out why I couldn't print anything at all, etc.
.
I called my IT people in KL.... somehow I think they can't help me as they sounded blur when I told them my problem.
.
I guess I'll just have to pester "someone" until the problem is solved.

No comments: