Monday, April 27, 2009

No Water?


I live in a modest house almost at the bottom of the hill. My humble abode is at a T-junction where the car lights would shine into my house had it not been for the intimidating wall that surrounded my compound. Every morning and afternoon, during a school day, the front of my house looked like Jalan Tun Razak on a busy day. Cars seemed to materialise from every direction. I have been a victim of a minor accident simply because I needed to get back home at the wrong time.
.
Because of the heavy traffic outside my house, plus the fact that I live close to the main road, my house would be covered in "black" dust at the end of each day even though I'd close all my doors and windows whether I am in or not. Someone once commented, "Do you treat your house like a hotel? The doors and windows are always closed and I don't see anyone there". I had to explain the nasty dust over and over again.
..
There were times when the whole row on my side would be in darkness. No so on the other side. It seemed to me that the other side ALWAYS had electricity.
,
My neighbours (not immediate neighbours, though) have probably never known that there were such services as MPS collecting rubbish to dispose them at some remote area. So, almost everyday, the smell of smoke would be blown to the direction of my house, causing all my clothes to stink! Yucky!!! Sometimes I had to rewash my clothes because of the horrible smell.
...
And yet, when one of the pipes burst and water doesn't flow through, I would still have water from the main pipe; not a lot but enough.
.
Last Sunday, the water pressure was quite low, I checked the whole house, in case I left a tap running, and was quite convinced that the fault wasn't mine.
.
That night, I called JBA. Apparently, more than 200 people called in to report water loss. And when I asked what the problem was and how long would we be without water, he didn't know. In fact, he said that the technicians were working on finding the problem. He wasn't even sure if it were a water pipe burst ... or ... etc.
.
I hung up and didn't think much about it.
.
On Monday evening, the water pressure was even lower and the water was quite brown. I bathed in my parents' place and took a huge pile of clothes for washing.
..
I even managed to wash my car. Imagine that. People around my area would most probably wonder why I had water when they didn't have any.
.
This is the secret. I live in a place low enough for me to have a little water and yet, it is high enough not to be flooded when it rained cats and dogs.
.
I guess this more than made up for the fact that the location of my house had so many flaws. :)

No comments: