Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Irreparable

I have always been quite a clumsy person, even when I was much younger.

Every since I got the iphone, I dropped it many times, and each time, my phone suffered little small bruises here and there.

On March 20th, I was on the phone when I felt it slip from me and down it went, CRACK! My heart broke almost immediately. The rest of the story can be found here.

To cut a long story short, after attempting to call Applecare Malaysia and Applecare Singapore, I was asked to send the phone back to Hong Kong, where I got the phone from.

The conversation I had with Applecare Singapore went like this :-
He : How can help you?
Me : My name is Rachel and I am calling from Malaysia. My iphone screen cracked. Can I send it to you to get it fixed?
He : Can I have your serial number?
Me : *************
He : Can I have your IMEI number?
Me : What??
He : Your IMEI number. Go to the same place where your serial number is
Me : Ok ... ************
He : (a little cynical) Is this phone yours or are you calling on behalf of someone?
Me : This phone is mine
He : (suspiciously) Where did you get it from?
Me : Oh, one of my friends bought it from Hong Kong
He : And what is your friend's name?
Me : Hazel
He : Ah!!! You've got to send it back to Hong Kong then
Me : !!!!!!
.
I contacted Hazel to ask Applecare in HK and she emailed me back saying that the phone cannot be repaired and that for HKD3220, they would give me a new phone.
.
Gosh!
.
I spent 1-2 days wondering if it's worth the $$. And I decided that it was not. Well, firstly, knowing how klutzy I could be, I might drop the phone and break it the moment I got the new phone. Another thing is .... I've already spent so much on this phone (well, actually it's dear hubby's money), is it worth it? I mean, I hardly use the applications and the ipod function. PLUS, I just found out that I was charged RM74.00 for data on my phone charges - sometimes because I accidentally touched one of the internet based applications.
.
I talked to dear hubby about this and he said that he would fork out the money if I wanted it done. :-) How sweet of him.
.
But I had already made up my mind. I would use the phone until it could no longer be used. I would try to lengthen its lifespan to the maximum to justify the cost of it.

4 comments:

poreiz said...

hey off the 3G function then you will not accidentally use it. Enable it when you need to use. There are a few applications which are very useful, not sure you have it already - Holy Bible and Skype are very useful.

Rachel said...

My 3G function is ALWAYS turned off. It's the "data" charges from Maxis that is costing me $$.

Yes, I have the Holy Bible and Fring (Skype) apps in my iphone

@nne said...

hahah iphone memang lousy. once spoilt have to get a new one. told u its not worth getting!

Rachel said...

It's only 6-7 crack lines. The phone can still be used. :-)