Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Musical 2008 - Lights

After hours of several meetings, we got to actually play with the lights. Hivolt came on Thursday night to set install the extra parcans, moving heads and follow-on spots. They worked throughout the night and when I went to church the next morning at 9am, they were still there. Wow!! They only left at noon to take a short break.


During their short break, I got the lights team to come in to familiarise themselves with the lighting equipment. Then we sat down for an hour long meeting, going through scene by scene.

.
The Hivolt team came back at 5.30pm. By then, some of the main singers/casts were there to do a mike test. Sharon and I were busy figuring out which button connects to the 54 parcans that we will be controling. It was really tough. Within minutes, we decided that I control the left side and she, the right side. Still, it was difficult to remember everything in a short time. I think both of us panicked and we got a little stressed out just by looking at all the buttons. They all looked the same!
.
And we thought it was easy peasy!!! Sharon said she salute KG for being able to do last year's lights for the musical. Then we were thinking again .... No wonder last year's musical was either all lights on or off. (no offense, KG, if you're reading this blog. It's really difficult to remember so much in such a short period of time) Sharon and I then made it a point to have the different buttons memorised so that we can play with the lights as and when needed.
.
I went back for a short while in the evening and came back with markers and stickers. It was so much easier after that.
.
The rest of the lights team went back, save for Sharon and I. We knew it was going to be a looong night for us because the programing of the moving heads takes a long time. Yoong (part of Hivolt team) is the expert and we started going through scene by scene at 10pm. FC predicted that we will be able to complete everything by 1am. Sharon was skeptical and said, " 3am". Me? Well, I was hoping to go back by 2am.
.
When we first started out, we wanted so many things done, so many different colours, etc. By 1am, we were only halfway through the script. Fearing that we might need to stay back beyond 3am, we hurried things along. We were not that fussy after all.
.
By 3am, we were still not done. Yoong was super tired and was heaving sighs every now and then. I don't blame Yoong because the day before, he worked 30 hours straight before he took a 3 hour nap.

Finally, at 3.30am, we were done with the programming. FC and Sally followed me from the back to make sure I reached home safe and sound while MCTC and Eunice accompanied Sharon.
.
I got back, showered and was thinking of sleeping. But I was over tired and my mind was still in the working mode. So I played bejeweled on my iphone and by 4.30am, I managed to feel sleepy. I remember thinking that I had to wake up in 3 hours time ........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No offense taken. FC did a good job of prompting me and we had our panic moments as well...you almost need as many hands as an octopus to push the buttons, tho' we tried to group them near together..