Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hospitalised

Can you read a 450 page book in less than 5 hours? Of course you can. That is, if you are stationed at a place with nothing else for entertainment except the TV (which I don't watch) and an iphone.

My mother-in-law was admitted into Columbia Hospital yesterday. Her unhealed wound on her left leg was infested with hundreds of maggots (yucky) and was bleeding a few days ago. Trust her NOT to tell us about her being in pain until Viji saw the spots of blood on the bedroom floor.

So, there I was, keeping my mother-in-law company at the hospital after her surgery, with nothing much to do. So what I started out to do was to key in some of the contact numbers into my iphone (ever since I got my iphone, I didn't have time to do the transfer) but soon, I was feeling a little bored and started on a new book which I brought with me : "You've Been Warned" by James Patterson & Howard Roughan.

Let me tell you something - Patterson's books normally sets me to the edge. It's difficult to put it down once I start reading it. I won't say that I am addicted to it, but he has this way of creating so much suspense, you just want to get to the end of the plot.

Actually, I know I shouldn't be reading these kind of books because it involves lots of psychotic people and mass murders and weird stuff. This book in particular, talks about her meeting people who has been dead for years. It's really spooky!! I woke up at 4am last night and got spooked by it!!!

.


Viji came about 2pm, after getting permission to leave the school (she's a teacher) early. She was fiddling with her phone while I was reading. Pastor Sally came at about 4pm for a visit. We chatted and she prayed for my mother-in-law.
.
We got her a very comfortable single bedroom with settee for visitors. Compared to 1 1/2 years ago, where she was in a twin sharing room, this was so much better. Of course, when the bill comes, it's another story altogether.

No comments: