Friday, January 9, 2009

Roti Canai

I started eating roti canai when I was in primary school. It was a "luxury" of some sort to be able to afford it at that time. A small bowl of curry laksa cost 20 cents, a medium sized cost 30 cents and the largest cost 50 cents.
.
Roti canai was 40 cents.
.
I get 50 cents a day. Which means that I have a balance of 10 cents after eating roti canai, to buy sweets (at that time it's 10 cents for 3) or kacang putih.
.
I think the price was stagnant until I left high school. Great for me, cause by the time I leave high school, I get RM1 a day, sometimes more if I had after school activities or tuition.
.
I remember that there was one air-conditioned restaurant (quite rare in those days) opposite Punca Emas (the only shopping complex in Seremban) named Suntory. A signboard outside it listed the prices of food and drinks. Roti canai was 70 cents there! Wow! expensive.
.
Yesterday, I had roti canai for breakfast. I had to fork out 80 cents for it. And the size is no where near what I had in those days. Why! I can even eat TWO roti canai and not feel stuffed.
.
I'm not complaining. In fact, 80 cents is still relatively cheap compared to how much I had to pay when I go to foreign places like London and America.
.
Who knows ... some day (in the very far furutre, hopefully), I will blog about roti canai costing RM5 each!!!

No comments: