Saturday, January 17, 2009

To Wait or Not to Wait

I am in the opinion that if you don't need a certain thing urgently, check out the price in a few places and look for the cheapest offer.

It also depends on other factors like how it would benefit you (financially, mentally, emotionally, health, and the list goes on) if you got a slightly more expensive bargain in the course of needing it with immediate effect.

Say for example, a laptop that's on sale for RM2,500 at a certain shop and you know for certain that you could get the same model at a 10% discount if you were to wait for the PC Fair that would be held in a certain mall two weeks later.

In the mean time, you really need the laptop because you old one just crashed and you needed to get a job done within 3 days; a job that would bring in RM10,000 if you finished that piece on time.

I'd say forget the RM250 difference and go buy it at the local shop.

Okay, okay ... I know I'm being long winded here.

Here's what happened.


.
BOTH my car remote control covers got brittle and the part where I press very often, .... well ... the rubbery patch fell apart and the electrical circuits were exposed.

For months I was looking for a replacement for both remote controls.

I found one place near Tesco which sells it for RM50. Yes! RM FIFTY for one piece of plastic. I reckon the cost of producing one is a mere 75 cents. I refused to part with my money.

MCTC told me that it cost about RM20. I decided to look around. To my dismay, I couldn't find any.

One day I was bemoaning this problem of mine to Minchee. She said that she got hers for only RM30. In my heart, I was thinking "Still expensive, but it's better than paying RM50 apiece".

That same day, I overheard MatthewL saying that he will be going to the Toyota svc centre that weekend to service his car. I asked him to buy two remote control covers for me. I expected it to be about RM20 each.
.

Last Sunday, Minchee came to me and told me that she got TWO remote control covers for only RM21.80 - which translates to RM10.90 each!

Gosh!!! Those guys near Tesco are certainly causing inflation rates to rise in this country.

So yeah ..... the remote control covers were not that urgent and I saved so much just by waiting.

No comments: